Thursday, January 10, 2013

Inov-8 Bare-X Lite 150 Review

Over the next several months I will be writing a sustained review of the Inov-8 Bare-X Lite 150.  Inov-8 is an exciting company that seems to make a thorough range of shoes to satisfy a minimalist-minded runner on any terrain, from mud and scree to the road.  I had held off from purchasing a pair of Inov-8's for several years, due primarily to suspicion of their longevity and hope that New Balance would make an excellent minimalist shoe.  Upon discovering that New Balance is stuck in a cul-de-sac of feather-light and feather-strong minimalist shoes, it became time for me to give Inov-8 a go; that and they were on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $43.17 (after my additional 30% off coupon, always wait for those from Sierra Trading Post!)

My initial impression of the Bare-X Lite 150 was positive, i.e. it fit my foot very well.  The men's size 12 fit properly, and matches my size in New Balance.  The Bare-X features Inov-8's "Anatomic" fit, which is roomier in the forefoot than their "Performance" fit.  The roomier forefoot accommodated my long toes beautifully while the fit still prevented any heal-slippage.  The orange creamsicle color scheme is fine, particularly as that was the only color on offer from Sierra Trading Post.  The orange is striking, but attractive.  The shoe is zero-drop, which is ideal for a runner who has transitioned to a forefoot-strike style, but probably a bridge too far for someone just beginning the transition from heal-striking.

My first run in the Bare-X Lite 150's was 3.5 miler in the rain.  I stuck to the roads, and the flat soles performed passably on wet pavement.  Though the shoes soaked up some water, they did not become water-logged.  I had no issues with the fit or any chafage, so the next day I proceeded on a 12.5 miler that included about a mile on wet and muddy trails.  The 150's again performed admirably, providing excellent fit and protection.  The 150's could not get traction on the mud (as expected with a flat sole), but the protection was adequate for the gravel and roots.  The "Fusion" outsole rubber, a mix of synthetic rubber and EVA, is not Inov-8's most durable, so it is probably not recommended to frequently run on rock and gravel trails, but it is good to find that the 150's can make due when called upon.  On dry trails, the 150's would probably perform quite well, though such use would shorten the life span of the shoe.

So far, the Bare-X Lite 150's seem to be excellent road trainers and racers for a runner who has already made the transition to a forefoot-strike style.  I will document their durability to determine if they are best left for races or if they can be used as daily road trainers.  

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the information regarding the Inov-8's performance on varied terrain. I will look forward to additional commentary after runs along several miles of trail. I do wonder however, how the weight of the Inov-8's compare to the New Balance minimal models; did you notice a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there has to be a trade off between weight and durability. These things are very, very light.

    My XF-210s are quite durable (i work in them ~12-16 hours a day every day and do all my WODs in them) I'm guessing the extra weight is the sole. I appreciate the durable rubber though.

    I run exclusively (i wont put them on unless it is to run...or a WOD with 800m+ segments) in my F Lite 195s and they have held up well over the past ~2 years, but I don't do a lot of miles.

    ReplyDelete